Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Momma's Goulash with the Gilpin Spin :)

This has been a favorite in our house since Stephen and I married and moved in together. I remember a couple of summers ago, my step-kids' mom emailed me asking for the recipe because the kids kept asking her to make "Angie's Goulash". This says a lot, trust me! :)

It is a recipe that my mom passed down to me but I put my own spin on it, just a tiny spin.

Ingredients to buy:
2 boxes Great Value Whole Wheat Elbows ($1.00 each) - $2.00

4 cans (smaller cans) of Great Value Stewed Tomatoes ($.96 each) - $3.84

5 lb roll of 80/20 hamburger but only use half, the other half will be used for sloppy joes the next night :) ($6.87 total) - $3.44

Pantry Items:
2 diced onions
1 stick of salted butter
1.5 tablespoons of chili powder
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
salt and pepper

1. Brown the hamburger (brown all of it and put away half for sloppy joes) along with the 2 onions, salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic powder

2. Cook elbows as directed

3. Combine the hamburger, elbows, tomatoes and butter. Let this simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occassionally!

We sometimes serve this with bread and butter. It is even better left over, if you have any!

Total cost: $9.28 ($1.16 per person)

However, we fed 9 last night so that made the cost $1.03 per person.

We had enough left over to feed the kids lunch today since they had a snow day from school. So that is even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment